PAGES

Friday, July 30, 2010

Just Can't Hide It (Savoring the First Time)
























I woke up yesterday at the sound of a text message.

Feeling groggy and jaded, I walked through the window to get my phone and check who it was. Thinking that it was just a message from a crazy guy who won't have the decency to introduce himself and just bug me everyday, I was ready to immediately delete the message and wouldn't want to bother reading whatever he said. But when I saw the word, "CONGRATULATIONS!" I literally paused (this time, thinking it was one of those spam text messages of me winning a lottery or something, which I didn't even joined for). But as I run through the text, it was a message from the Production Manager of a theater play I auditioned last Saturday (July 24). It was then that I remembered I did something that weekend. Something that I almost forgot about, 'til this message came.

"CONGRATULATIONS! We are happy to inform you that you passed the audition as a workshop participant for Information for Foreigners. At this point we would like to inform you that instead of talent fees, you shall receive an allowance at the end of the production, THE AMOUNT OF WHICH IS YET TO BE DETERMINED. We hope that this monumental experience with Dr. Anton Juan shall transform you into a better actor and citizen. If these terms are acceptable, please attend the character tabling tom. At 6 to 9pm at CAL 311, U.P. Diliman. Kindly confirm attendance. Thank you. - Karen Gaerlan, Production Manager"


I was so sleepy and "bangag" that evening. I was even thinking of backing out of the audition and just go home to sleep 'coz I can't think of a piece that I can do for a monologue. I was not prepared at that time. We were just made aware of the audition, like 2 or 3 hours before. But then again, at the back of my mind, someone's shouting: "Carpe Diem(seize the day), Jha! Carpe Diem(seize the day)!!!"

So there I was with my co-acting workshoppers and mentor (we all auditioned) in a cab, them writing or thinking of their audition pieces - and me, trying hard not to fall asleep and think of my own lines. But there was nothing. Blank. Nada. Zero. Nothing came to mind. So I just said, "bahala na(come what may)".

Then there I was. In front of Dr. Anton Juan. When asked if I have prepared a monologue - I didn't lie - I said, yes. Well, not that prepared really, but more of like, I do have something to present - an impromptu piece that is. Whatever comes out of my mouth, whatever it is that I can think of, at that very moment. :) So yeah, I can say, I have a prepared monologue. Hehe.

Of course, it's different if it is a requirement to present a piece from a published playwright (like what was asked of us for CCP Tanghalang Pilipino Actors Company audition last June 30). Good thing that this second audition I went to, didn't really require much, so I just did my own.

Pardon me, but even though this is not the first time I auditioned for a theatrical play, this is the first time after 7 years (last was in 2003 for FEU Theater Guild's, "The King and I"), that I auditioned - and passed. :) I will still keep my word when I said, that I won't stop 'til I get and do what I have always wanted to do - Act.

So Thank you, Lord for this great blessing and for all the people who have prayed with me and supported me all this time. For they know what really makes me happy and they believed in me when I say, I can do it. :)

No comments:

Subscribe Now