PAGES

Monday, February 28, 2011

OF FIRST TIMES AND BEYOND


(In memory of my 27th Birthday)
Photo taken by Justine Balanag

February 13 2011

After so many failed planned vacation leaves, it was only this year that I was able to maximize the days I intended for my celebration. It all started last Sunday before Valentine’s Day when I got my free cake and boxes of assorted polvoron (my favorite) from Goldilocks and was able to gather my family and some relatives in Marikina. It was just a simple, yet meaningful celebration, because there’s nothing compared to the sound of children’s laughter whenever they see a candle blown on a birthday cake. As I described my birthday album on my facebook account, I found it funny because it took 3rounds before I was able to blow my own birthday candle. The first was done by my brother’s son – Nash Gabrielle, followed by my half sister – Althea Faye. And since that was the very first candle I have to blow after so many years of not having one, I forgot to make a wish. I don’t even remember when I should make a wish – before or after I blow the candle? Haha.


February 22-25 2011
Four days, three nights stay in Coron, Palawan

When I found out that there’s a promo fare to Coron and was scheduled for February, I immediately agreed to come along. I told myself to give it a shot and see what fate presents to me on that day. I realized that it was my very first out of town trip (by plane) with some of my high school friends – Justine and Denisse, together with Alfie (Denisse’s boyfriend) and two of our new found friends, Tia and Candy. I’ll tell more specific adventures we had on my later post. So just stand by.

Anyway, another first for me was eating on the boat while traveling from one island to another. Oh, when I say we “ate”, it’s not the normal chips and crackers thing you have whenever you’re in the middle of the ocean. They were actual meals cooked by the boatmen, fresh from the sea (huge Crabs, Fish, Pusit – just to name a few). They cook really well and the food is so yummy!

Another first was when my sunglasses broke on our 2nd day, when we were on our way to Calauit Island: Safari. Just imagine how many hours we were walking on that huge acres of land to see each animal (following the tour guide like we were on an elementary fieldtrip or something), under the freaking heat of the sun without sunglasses on. To be honest, though, I kept on asking myself that time (in the back of my mind), “Can I just sit and watch the National Geographic Channel instead of walking with you guys?” Had they reserved an alternative truck for tourists, if what they originally have gets malfunctioned, we would have all been fine gazing through the field not minding the heat. Tsk, tsk, booooo! I love the giraffes, horses and zebras, though. :)
Anyway, lesson learned: I won’t buy a ninety-nine pesos worth of sunglasses any longer so it won’t break after a day of use. Crap!

It was my first time to wear a real 2-piece bikini (despite my big figure). And it was not a two-piece outfit like shorts and a top, which I always wear before, when I have a nice figure to flaunt. How ironic.

It was a first when I get to eat on my own pace without having someone rush me to finish my food; and live somewhat like a real survivor in an isolated island when we stayed overnight in Castaway – wherein your only companion is the sound of the waves, and the cool breeze on your face. Electricity’s off during the day, and only a generator helps you get through the night. The only difference is, they served our food. We didn’t need to hunt to get something to eat. It’s like living in a paradise – without a special someone beside you *sigh* hehe.

Visiting 8 islands in one day (on exactly my birth day, the 24th) was another first. Snorkeling, swimming, trekking – name it, we did it. You can just imagine how exhausted we were at the end of the day. But we didn’t mind. We still managed to get a tricycle to drive us to Maquinit Hot Springs and give our tired bodies, a much needed break.

Our 4th morning was just a preparation to our flight back to Manila, so there’s nothing much that happened. Denisse just pointed a cute tree, though, while we’re inside the van going to the airport. It was alone in the middle of the field and it was a very pretty tree like what I see on children’s books when I was a kid, or a movie-like scene in need of a great nature’s background. It was amazing. Do you remember this phrase: “Living in a greener pasture?” The feeling was like that, only in the literal sense, because you are surrounded by green trees :)

Finally, it was a first having to trek 6 times, on different locations, when all we wanted was just to swim and snorkel. Mind you, we even trekked inside NAIA when all their escalators didn’t work when we arrived. Crazy, but super fun! :D

Thank you, Lord, for keeping us all safe on this blessed trip; thank you for introducing us to thoughtful and hospitable people of Coron; thank you for creating such wonderful and amazing islands; and thank you for allowing these people (Justine, Denisse, Alfie, Tia and Candy) to share their time and part of their lives with me as I celebrate another year of blissful existence. Thank you too, for all of you who extended warm greetings and wishes.

I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me, next year :)

For now, I’ll continue living each day and each passing hour in God’s grace. :)


2 comments:

Rajsh Sabio-Velasquez said...

hi jha, im tagging/awarding you!

hehehe. :)

http://rajshbratinella.blogspot.com/2011/03/tagged-and-awarded.html

Janellyn said...

wow! thanks, Rajsh! i guess i'll count this on my list of "firsts" too? hehe, being awarded for my blog, is a first! Muwah! :)

Subscribe Now